- USA’s Brightland Homes selects PPG as exclusive paint provider for new home builds
- SABIC and global chemical companies sign agreement with TNO for R&D hub for plastic w...
- Covestro tackles maximum efficiency in urban mobility
- PPG opens US$30M battery pack application centre in China
- PPG opens Color Creation Lab with Chery Automobile in China
BASF and Sinopec have announced they will build a world-scale production plant for Neopentylglycol (NPG) at their state-of-the-art Verbund site, BASF-YPC Co, Ltd, a 50-50 joint venture in Nanjing, China.
The plant, with a total capacity of about 40,000t/yr is planned to go on stream at the end of 2015. It will benefit from backward integration into the Nanjing Verbund site, allowing high delivery reliability and maximising efficient use of energy and resources.
NPG is a unique polyalcohol offering superior performance in many end-use applications such as coatings, textiles and construction due to its high chemical and thermal stability.
It is mainly used as a building block in polyester resins for coatings, unsaturated polyester and alkyd resins, lubricants and plasticisers.
As the global market leader, BASF has NPG production facilities in Ludwigshafen, Germany; Freeport, USA and Jilin, China.
"With this new plant, we are responding to our customers’ growing demand for high-quality neopentylglycol, especially in the Asia Pacific region and, at the same time, strengthening our position as the global leading supplier of NPG,” said Sanjeev Gandhi, President, BASF Intermediates division. "We have 55 years of experience in manufacturing and supplying neopentylglycol to our customers across a broad range of industries.”