- PPG again earns Equality 100 Award in 2023 Corporate Equality Index, spotlighting 20 years...
- Arkema finalises the acquisition of its 54% stake in PI Advanced Materials
- BASF Research Press Conference 2023 – Chemistry and sustainability: A perfect match
- IChemE celebrates 2023 Global Awards winners
- Flint Group puts EkoCure® Dual Cure technology in the spotlight at Labelexpo Asia 2023
In line with its customer-focused corporate strategy, BASF has expanded capacities for ethylene oxide and ethylene oxide derivatives at its Verbund site in Antwerp, Belgium. The investment adds about 400,000t/yr to BASF’s production capacity for the corresponding products.
“With the new plants we are supporting the continuous growth of our customers and are enhancing our market position in Europe,” says Hartwig Michels, President Petrochemicals, BASF. The investment, exceeding €500M, comprises a second world-scale ethylene oxide plant, including capacity for purified ethylene oxide.
In addition to ethylene oxide, the investment includes additional capacities for alkoxylates, which are derivatives of ethylene oxide and used in a wide range of applications such as in detergent and cleaning, automotive and construction industry. “Acting with the future in mind is key to our continued success in the European market. With this expansion, we will accelerate growth for us and our customers in Europe”, says Mary Kurian, President Care Chemicals, BASF.
The expanded ethylene oxide and derivatives complex is also a major investment for the site in Antwerp. “The investment underlines the importance of our site for the BASF-group and creates further opportunities. To operate these world-scale installations, BASF Antwerp welcomed over 100 new colleagues; this number comes on top of the regular hires,” said Jan Remeysen, CEO of BASF Antwerp.