- PPG completes Colorful Communities project in Shildon, UK
- ITN Business and IChemE launch news-style programme, ‘Engineering a Sustainable World’
- Graphene nanotubes revolutionise protective film technology: ultrathin, permanently conduc...
- AkzoNobel graduates first engineers from its training programme
- AkzoNobel and China’s Wuxi El Pont exploring use of electron beams to cure coatings
With demand for high performance coatings and adhesives growing in Asia, materials manufacturer Covestro is expanding production of the crucial raw material HDI. To satisfy this demand, a new world-scale plant at the Shanghai site in China has been inaugurated. It can produce up to 50,000t/yr of HDI. The production technology is highly environmentally friendly, efficient and safe. The plant represents another milestone in an expiring major investment programme for the site.
"Particularly in China and the Asia-Pacific region, there is strong demand for coatings and adhesives in such key sectors as the automotive, construction and furniture, footwear and textiles industries. We believe there is considerable potential for growth through product and application innovations, and we are responding to that with the expansion of our HDI production capacity,” said Daniel Meyer, head of the Coatings, Adhesives, Specialties (CAS) segment at Covestro, on Thursday at the inauguration celebration. Focusing particularly on the needs of customers in the region, Meyer added that the new plant will help ensure a stable and flexible supply of HDI.