- UK market report: Sustainability is key to industry future
- Focus on sustainability: Green transformation of waterborne paint formulations using bio-b...
- Coil coatings: PVDF versus SMP coil coating systems
- Focus on inks: Navigating beyond PTFE inks
- Choosing paint: The difference between Baby Boomers and Generations X, Y and Z
Based on the latest industry analysis by Fact.MR, the global anticorrosive primers market is estimated to be valued at US$1.84bn in 2023 and is forecast to expand at a CAGR of 6.9% to reach US$3.59bn by the end of 2033
Anticorrosive primers play an important role in construction projects by preventing the oxidation of metal surfaces. The market has evolved rapidly through technological advancements, ensuring enhanced surface protection from harsh environments, increased use of thin-wall components, and better repair & maintenance of existing structures.
Consumption analysis of anticorrosive primers (2018 to 2022) vs. market projections (2023 to 2033)
Worldwide sales of anticorrosive primers increased at a CAGR of 3.3% from 2018 to 2022. An anticorrosive primer, especially a metal primer, protects metal surfaces from corrosive agents. Evolution of the anticorrosive primers market, driven by technological advancements, has led to their diversified applications across several industries.
- Short Term (2023 to 2026): Well-established market within the construction and automotive sectors is poised for decent short-term growth, driven by emerging applications. Utilisation of anticorrosive primers for welding and providing robust rust protection on exposed metal surfaces is on the rise.
- Medium Term (2026 to 2029): In the medium term, the global market is projected to expand due to technological advancements leading to increasing applications of anticorrosive primers in the power generation sector. The market is anticipated to encompass various uses, including coatings for light, signal and transmission structures, as well as their incorporation into architectural structures and components.
- Long Term (2029 to 2033): Soaring popularity of anticorrosive primers and continuous expansion of the automotive, aerospace, and construction industries are expected to be the key driving forces behind the long-term growth of the market. Demand for high-quality anticorrosive primers for surface preparation and protection is anticipated to experience a substantial and sustained increase.
The market is predicted to expand at a CAGR of 6.9% during the forecast period (2023 to 2033), according to Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider.
Market dynamics outlook
What are the factors leading to increased adoption of anticorrosive primers?
“Extensive use of anticorrosive primers in the automotive industry”
Demand for anticorrosive primers is on the rise from the manufacturing sector to safeguard equipment from corrosion and ensure durability and luster. Epoxy-based and alkyd-based primers, suitable for traditional steel and galvanized metal surfaces, dominate this usage.Global car sales rose from 66.7 million units in 2021 to 67.2 million units in 2022, and are projected to climb further due to increasing demand for electric vehicles driven by sustainability initiatives.
“Increased need for corrosion protection for extending lifespan of structures and equipment”
Anticorrosive primers are being used majorly to reduce maintenance costs and improve the quality of structures, such as buildings and bridges. Anticorrosive primer coating provides chemical resistance and prevents rust marks on metals due to oxidation.
Growing awareness about the applications of anticorrosive primers by type and end-use industry is driving product demand globally. Anticorrosive primers find extensive applications in the aerospace industry as well.
What challenges do manufacturers of anticorrosive primers encounter?
“Stringent environmental regulations limiting adoption of anticorrosive primers”
Anticorrosive primer producers encounter challenges owing to stringent regulations governing formulations and the volatile organic compounds present in these primers. Such regulations can constrain their application across industries.The drive for eco-friendly and non-toxic primers is promoting their adoption in diverse sectors. Transitioning from red lead primers to lead- and chromate-free options could mitigate regulatory limitations. Embracing alternative coating solutions, powered by technological progress, offers a pathway to navigate stringent environmental mandates.
What’s driving the demand growth for corrosion protection primers in the USA?
“Widespread use of anticorrosive primers in automotive, aerospace and marine applications”
The rust prevention primers market in the United States is expected to create an opportunity of US$552.2M from 2023 to 2033. The United States automotive sector significantly influences the growth of the market. Zinc phosphate and epoxy-based solutions, known for their robust rust protection, are integral for safeguarding metal parts and surfaces.
Demand for anticorrosive primers is on the rise in the country, driven by the robust automobile industry as well as the aerospace and marine sectors. This demand extends further across diverse industries including construction, oil & gas, chemical, and power generation, contributing to the continuous growth of the market.
Why is China a lucrative market for anticorrosive primer manufacturers?
“Increased vehicle production necessitating extensive use of anticorrosive materials”
Rapid industrialisation and urbanisation are driving the sales of anticorrosive primers in China. The growing infrastructure sector in China is also acting as a significant factor driving the market for rust prevention primers. These primers are extensively employed as corrosion inhibitors to prevent the spoiling of structures such as buildings and bridges. China stands as a major player in the vehicle market, boasting substantial annual sales and manufacturing output.
Why are zinc-rich primers preferred by end users?
Zinc-rich anticorrosive primers occupy 45% share of the global market for rust inhibitors at present. They are extensively used in manufacturing industries as steel primers for the protection of steel surfaces from corrosion. They act as a shield to protect critical equipment from humidity, moisture and oxidation. They protect the metal by electrical means and provide outstanding corrosion resistance.
Why are anticorrosive primers gaining traction in the chemical industry?
Anticorrosive primers are applied to the interior and exterior surfaces of tanks to protect them from corrosion caused by the stored chemicals. These primers create a barrier that prevents chemicals from coming into direct contact with the metal substrate, reducing the risk of corrosion and maintaining the structural integrity of the equipment.
Key strategies of eminent market players
- In December 2021, Applied Graphene Materials (AGM) introduced a line of anticorrosive primers utilising its Genable technology. Their Genable epoxy primer combines graphene with a zinc phosphate additive, catering to both urban and industrial use cases.
- Noroo Paint & Coatings, Peter Kwasny GmbH, Polycote UK, Akzo Nobel, PPG Industries, Sherwin-Williams Company, Jotun Group, Hempel A/s, Rust-Oleum Corporation, Nippon Paints, Kansai Paints, Axalta Coating Systems, Berger Paints India Limited, and Asian Paints are leading anticorrosive primer manufacturers.