- Vattenfall and BASF to partner on German offshore wind farms Nordlicht 1 and 2
- AkzoNobel Powder Coatings partners with coatingAI to explore new frontiers in sustainabili...
- PPG again earns Equality 100 Award in 2023 Corporate Equality Index, spotlighting 20 years...
- Arkema finalises the acquisition of its 54% stake in PI Advanced Materials
- BASF Research Press Conference 2023 – Chemistry and sustainability: A perfect match
Coatings contractors and applicators are seeking high-performance coatings tough enough to withstand harsh environments. Offering durability and high functionality, two-component (2K) polyurethane systems are becoming an attractive option for protecting pipes where challenging conditions often include field application, high service temperatures, high salt load and wet soil conditions.
Ahren Olson, market manager, Corrosion Protection, Coatings, Adhesives & Specialties (CAS), Bayer MaterialScience LLC, will present ‘Efficient polyurethane pipe coatings for harsh conditions’ at 9:30am, Tuesday, February 11 during the SSPC conference in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. He will discuss how the building blocks of rigid polyurethanes were screened and the resulting raw material property profile was modified to fulfil the requirements for these applications. He will also discuss positive results from two field trials of these coatings.
"The reactivity characteristics of these rigid 2K polyurethane systems were balanced to reach the required end-hardness within hours,” Olson said. "When used during field applications, the liquid 2K polyurethane coatings provide coating professionals advantages such as faster backfilling and handling of the pipe. Additionally, they provide the fast processing required for application in factories.”