- PPG partners with Prague Crafts Academy to train the next generation of painters
- Offshore wind farm Hollandse Kust Zuid inaugurated
- UPM selects Brenntag as sole European distributor of its new bio-based MEG
- PPG partners with Dutch university to develop world’s first off-road solar car
- Philippine lead paint ban feted in Bonn, Germany
Bayer’s polyurethane spray-on elastomer system Baytec Spray was chosen to be part of a project in Spain, where one of the large squares in the historic district of Seville has been given a complete facelift. The product was used to protect a wooden structure from the elements.
As part of the ‘Metropol Parasol’ project, an area of around 10,000m2 of the Plaza de la Encarnación has been covered over with a gigantic, multifunctional sunshade, spanning the square at a height of more than 20m.
The wooden structure is made from laminated veneer panels up to 16m long with a diameter of 7cm. Apart from offering protection from the weather; the 3mm thick polyurethane coating also contributes to the homogeneous appearance specified by the architect for the six giant parasols. To apply the coating, the liquid raw material components were first mixed in a mobile spraying machine. The coating solidified just a few minutes after application but remains permanently elastic.