- IMCD appoints Dorthe Mikkelsen as member of the Supervisory Board
- EkoCure® Dual Cure ink puts Flint Group and All4Labels on shared path to success
- Advancion launches new multifunctional etheramine for waterborne industrial coatings syste...
- IMCD China enters the lubricants market with the acquisition of Guangzhou RBD Chemical
- AkzoNobel and Kansai Paint mutually agree not to proceed with African transaction
Altana, the speciality chemicals group based in Wesel, Germany, is significantly expanding its presence in China. In April, the Actega division opened a laboratory for coatings and sealants at its production site in Foshan, Elantas commissioned a plant for wire enamels in Tongling and BYK signed a contract for the purchase of a site for developing and manufacturing chemical additives in Shanghai. With these projects, the Altana Group is investing a total of more than €30M in the further growth of its China business.
"With our investment initiative, we’re aiming to increase our presence in Asia further with emphasis on China and take advantage of the enormous market potential here,” declared Dr Matthias L Wolfgruber, CEO of Altana AG. "Consequently, the ability to act rapidly, efficiently and in concert with local managers and employees in these markets is critical for our success.”
In 2013, Altana achieved its highest growth rate in this region in China. The Asian region, as a whole, grew by seven percent, driven primarily by the increased demand from China.
Currently, Altana operates eight subsidiaries, five production facilities and 10 laboratories in the country. With 450 employees here, the company generated sales of around €290M or 16% of its entire global business in 2013.