- Vattenfall and BASF to partner on German offshore wind farms Nordlicht 1 and 2
- AkzoNobel Powder Coatings partners with coatingAI to explore new frontiers in sustainabili...
- PPG again earns Equality 100 Award in 2023 Corporate Equality Index, spotlighting 20 years...
- Arkema finalises the acquisition of its 54% stake in PI Advanced Materials
- BASF Research Press Conference 2023 – Chemistry and sustainability: A perfect match
BASF and BMW have teamed up for the i3, the BMW Group’s first model driven purely by electric power. BASF is supplying basecoats in four colours for the new i3 production line at the BMW plant in Leipzig.
BASF is contributing to the i3’s unique design, which is exceptionally clean, reduced but at the same time, dynamic. The i3 has another special feature that also extends to the coating: The passenger compartment is made of carbon fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP).
The car consists of a CFRP body-in-white on which the coated plastic add-on parts are mounted. This concept means new challenges for the coating of the add-on parts and for the associated application processes.
BASF has been a supplier for the BMW plant in Leipzig since its start-up in 2005 and provides the automotive manufacturer with modern paint systems worldwide.