- New British Coatings Federation report highlights essential coatings contribution to econo...
- PPG announces leadership changes in aerospace coatings business
- Vattenfall and BASF to partner on German offshore wind farms Nordlicht 1 and 2
- AkzoNobel Powder Coatings partners with coatingAI to explore new frontiers in sustainabili...
- PPG again earns Equality 100 Award in 2023 Corporate Equality Index, spotlighting 20 years...
The Bayflex® Lightweight polyurethane system from Bayer MaterialScience was honoured with the 10th MATERIALICA Design + Technology Award 2012 at the MATERIALICA trade fair in Munich, Germany. A top-rank jury presented the ‘Best of’ Award in the category ‘Material’ for the high-performance and tough-elastic polyurethane construction material, which even floats on water due to its low density.
"We are delighted with this recognition of our commitment to sustainable material solutions," said Dr Birgit Meyer zu Berstenhorst, project manager for this development. "Our new material weighs up to 30% less than the standard material and is thus a perfect fit for future drive concepts such as electric mobility."
This solution’s light weight is attributable to the high-performance polyurethane system Bayflex® Lightweight together with a sophisticated combination of fillers instead of the mineral fibers used previously. "The excellent mechanical properties of the system are thus retained," added Meyer zu Berstenhorst. The compact material also offers great design freedom in vehicle construction.
The potential for innovation offered by this lightweight design concept can also be applied to other areas of application in mobility, such as trucks and buses. Bayer experts believe it is also suitable for use in the leisure and furniture sector, the construction industry and the IT segment.